Creating a Modifier List
When you want to add options to a product on your menu, such as cheese on a hamburger, you can use "Modifiers". Creating a modifier can be either be done from the web or from the app.
To create a modifier from talech Register:
- Go to Dashboard > Back Office > Menu > Modifiers > The + button in the top right.
- Name your modifier list and select whether it's an Add On or an Exclusion
- Add On - is anything that can be added to the product e.g. extra cheese, pickles, or dipping sauce
- Exclusion - is any item that can be taken away from the product e.g. no cheese, no pickles, or no dipping sauce
- Select Price Attribute if the modifiers have a price to associate
Ex: $2.00 for Bacon.
- Select Tare Weight if there will be a weight associated with the modifier
Ex: Medium Yogurt Cup weighs .05oz, Large Yogurt Cup weights .08oz, etc
- Select Options to create the modifier list choice(s)
- Press Back once you've add options to the modifier list.
- Now you can chose the Minimum and Maximum Selections for the modifier list. Leaving the Minimum at 0 will make it so that a modifier does not need to be selected. A minimum of 1 will force the user to select at least 1 option for the menu item.
- Press Save
Assign a Modifier list
- Go to the Product section of your Menu Editor and select a product to assign modifier list(s) to
- From the Product Edit screen, scroll down to and select Modifiers
- Select the modifier list(s) to attach to the product
- Modifiers appear in the register from left to right in the order they are added
- You can arrange this order by tapping and holding the three horizontal lines, then dragging and dropping in the desired order
- Press the Back button
- Press Save to complete
You now have a modifier tied to your product. At the register, it will look like this:
You can now set up Default modifiers to your individual products in talech Register. This way, instead of having to select all the items that would normally come on the product (such as a tomato, lettuce on a burger or cheese on a pizza), the standard modifiers will already be selected. Thus saving time at the register.
To create Default Modifiers from talech Registers:
- Go to Dashboard > Back Office > Menu > and select the product to add default modifiers too
- While in the product edit screen, select Modifiers near the bottom of the screen. If you do not have any modifiers selected, you can do so here.
- Select Default Modifiers in the top right corner
- This screen will show all modifiers applied to the product, mimicking what it will look like in the register. Select the modifiers you wish to included as default on the product
- After making you changes, make sure to hit save.
Now at the register, the product will have the default modifiers selected. If the your customer does not have any changes to the order, it is ready to be paid for or sent to the kitchen.
If your customer does not want one of the defaulted modifiers, it is easy to remove. Simply hold the modifier for 2 second and when you let go, it will no longer be selected and will have a red border around it. This will send to the kitchen as if it were an exclusion. For example, "NO Bacon."
Because of this, you will not need to have a separate modifier for exclusions since it can all be done from one list. If you want to remove a modifier from a product, you can do so by selecting the red - button ()in the modifiers page.
If you are using default modifiers with pricing, then you can have modifier credit that can be used towards other priced modifier options.
For example, I have a priced modifier for Bacon for $1.00. This comes included in the $6.99 price point for this burger. However if this modifier is deselected, it will give me $1.00 of credit to be used towards an additional modifier.
The price of the burger will not go underneath the $6.99 price point. The $1.00 credit will be used to get Tofu for free instead of paying an additional $1.00. Note below how the Tofu add on is priced at $0.00. If Tuna were to be selected instead of Tofu, then the price of the Tuna would be $1.00 instead of the normal $2.00.
If you do not wish to have modifier credit, then you will not want to use prices for your defaulted modifiers.
If you need to rearrange the order in which modifiers appear in the register, you can do so by following these steps.
Step 1: Select Dashboard > Back Office > Menu > Your desired product > Modifiers.
Step 2: You can drag and drop the selected modifiers by using the 3 grey lines on the right of the modifier name.
Note that the top most modifier will be what appears on the left in the register (Top to bottom indicates left to right).
How Default Modifiers Appear
There are a couple new settings inside of the application that will dictate how the modifier will appear on the register and on the order ticket.
You can select how you wish the default modifiers to appear in the register. You can either have no default modifiers appear, the modifier names, or anything added on top of the default modifiers. This setting can be found in Dashboard > Back Office > Settings > General > Order > Modifiers.
Here is how it would look in the register.
When Default Modifiers and Display Modifier Name are turned off, the register will look like this:
These are examples with the same default modifiers set up.
If you wish for the default modifiers to appear on the order ticket, you will have to change an advanced setting on the kitchen printer. This can be done by Dashboard > Back Office > Settings > Printers > Select desired Printer > Advanced Printer settings. Here you can select if the printer will print the default modifiers or if it will print just the name of the product.