*This setup article is for Elavon (US) and Global Pay (US) customers using the Ingenico iCMP card reader*
If you're having trouble with a reader that was previously working normally, please see our support article: ICMP Troubleshooting Guide for instructions to troubleshoot common issues.
The Ingenico iCMP card reader connects to the iPad via Bluetooth. The card reader supports the following payment types:
- EMV/Chip & PIN
- Apple Pay/NFC
- Swipe & Sign cards
The iCMP is a Bluetooth Class 2 device. The maximum range for this class of device is about 33 feet (10 meters). Because Bluetooth is a radio technology, it is susceptible to environmental/radio interference which can reduce the usable range of the device.
Note: If your iCMP is operated in EMV-Enabled mode, you should also have PIN debit enabled on your Merchant Services account. The iCMP will default to PIN debit for supported cards with the Interlink or Maestro logo on the card when the reader is operated in EMV-Enabled mode. There are no configurable options that change the workflow programmed in the reader by your processor at this time.
Before you begin:
The card reader will need at least a half hour of initial charge time for setup. For a full charge, charge the reader for a minimum of 3 hours.
Connect the iCMP:
- Open the iOS 'Settings' application on your iPad.
- Under 'Settings', tap on 'Bluetooth' and ensure Bluetooth is enabled before proceeding.
- Power on the iCMP using the power button on the right side.
- The reader should display 'BT Pairing Required'. If the screen displays a 'Welcome' message, tap the 'F' key 4 times rapidly.
- When entering pairing mode, a 'Begin' message should appear on the screen above the 'F1' key. Tap 'F1' / 'Begin' to start the pairing process.
- If the reader prompts for a choice between 'iOS' and 'Standard', choose the option for 'iOS'.
- Wait until the card reader screen shows the name of your iPad. Use the F2 and F3 keys to navigate the list of detected devices until your iPad is highlighted. Tap the Green button on the reader to select the highlighted iPad.
- A pairing PIN will appear on the card reader screen and a window will popup on the iPad asking for the PIN from step 5. Enter the PIN into the iPad and tap "Pair".
- Note: This step is time-sensitive. The reader will leave pairing mode after 30 seconds.
- Ignore the window popup asking to install a separate app.
- In the Register app, navigate to "Dashboard" > "Back Office" > "Settings"
- Under the "General" settings, scroll down and tap on "Card Reader".
- Select "Ingenico iCMP(non-EMV)" or "Ingenico iCMP (EMV Enabled)".
- NOTE: Selecting the EMV Enabled option will require the reader to update. The update takes approximately 15-20 minutes to complete. During the update the iPad and card reader cannot be used.
View the video for an iCMP Set-up overview :
Note: The following steps are for Elavon customers only. You may need to update the card reader which can take 10 to 20 minutes. You will not be able to use your iPad and card reader during the update.
- In the Register app, return to "Dashboard" and tap "Back Office".
- Select "Settings", then tap "General" and tap "Card Reader" along on the right.
- Select "Ingenico iCMP (EMV Enabled)".
- A window prompt may appear asking you to update the reader. Make sure your iPad and card reader have power.
- Follow the instructions to start the update process. A message will appear on the iPad once the update is done.
- Clear away this message and hit the red button on the card reader.