The CAS scale can be connected via your printer to weigh products in the register app during a transaction. This is great for locations such as yogurt shops, butchers and grocery stores.
You will need:
- An Epson T-88V-i printer with DB9 Serial interface
- An Avery Brecknell POS Bench Scale - 6710U
- A serial DB9 Male/DB9 Female 8C Null Modem Cable
The printer is ethernet and must be connected to your network before proceeding.
Follow the steps below to configure the printer for use with the weight scale:
- Enable 'Communication Hub' in the register app for your printer
- Enable the printers serial port and verify the settings are correct
- Connect the printer and scale using the DB9 Serial cable
- Set the scales 'type' setting to ensure correct units are sent to the register app during weighing
Step 1 - Enable 'Communication Hub' in the register app for your printer
From the 'Settings' screen in the register app, tap on 'Printers' then tap on the T-88V-i printer and toggle the switch labeled 'Communication Hub'.
Step 2 - Enable the printers serial port and verify the settings are correct
Open a web browser, then navigate to the printers admin page. This is usually http://<printer_id>/webconfig. The printers IP address shown in the talech app (see screenshot above) as well as printed out each time the printer is powered on:
The default username and password for the printers /webconfig page are both 'epson' (without the quotes).
Click on 'Serial Comunication Device' and ensure the 'Communication settings' are as follows:
- Serial device communications settings : Use
- Communications speed : 9600
- Data Bit : 7
- Parity : Even
- Stop Bit : 1
- Flow Control : None
Step 3 - Connect the printer and scale using the DB9 Serial cable
Connect the serial cable. Connect the power cable if not already attached.
At this point the scale should be ready to use. From here, you can start adding product settings with steps on this link : Setting up Products with Weight Settings for the Scale.
Please note: Some customers may be using the CAS PD-II Scale. This scale requires an additional step:
Set the scales 'type' setting to ensure correct units are sent to the register app during weighing
Power on the scale while holding the # button. Release the # button when you see 'tYPE 0' on the display.
Tap the 'lb/oz' button until the display reads 'tYPE 5'
Tap the 'ZERO' button to save the setting
This step is not required for the Avery Brecknell scale.