Introduction: This guide covers the setup and use of Tax Rates available in talech Register. This guide will show you how to create a tax rate within the Back Office settings. Tax rates can be set up by category or individual products.
NOTE: For a new account, the tax rate will be set to 0% by default. It is important to setup a tax rate PRIOR to taking payment transactions.
Types of Taxes
There are 3 types of taxes that talech supports
- Applied Tax: This is a percentage based tax added after the subtotal
- Ex: $10.00 item with 10% tax. Total w/tax = $11.00
- Inclusive Tax: This is a percentage based tax included in the subtotal
- Ex: $10.00 item with 10% tax. Total w/tax = $10.00
- Flat Tax: This is a dollar amount tax based per item
- Ex: $10.00 item with $1.00 tax. Total w/tax = $11.00
Changing the Default Tax Rate
From the talech Register, Go to Dashboard > Back Office > Settings > Taxes. Here you will see the Default tax. Tap this and fill out the necessary information.
Creating a New Tax
Multiple tax rates are supported by talech. For example, if Food and Beverages had different tax rates, you would simply create a Food Tax and a Drink tax and apply them to the appropriate products/categories.
To create a new Tax rate, Go to Dashboard > Back Office > Settings > Taxes. Press the + in the top right corner. Once you are done filling out the necessary information, press save.
Assigning a Tax Rate to Category
Start by selecting the tax rate you wish to apply. At the bottom of the screen there will an option to apply to a category
- Retail : This option is named Applied Categories
- Restaurant : There are two options Applied Categories - (Dine In or To Go). This way you can set different tax rates based on different order types.
Once you select one of these options, you will see a list of your categories. Simply tap them to apply. Once you are done press Back and then Save.