This guide covers the setup and use of Tax Rates available in talech Register. This guide will show you how to create a tax rate within the Back Office settings. Tax rates can be set up by category or individual products.
NOTE: For a new account, the tax rate will be set to 0% by default. It is important to setup a tax rate PRIOR to taking payment transactions.
Types of Taxes
There are 3 types of taxes that talech supports
- Applied Tax: This is a percentage based tax added after the subtotal.
- For example $10.00 item with 10% tax. Total with tax = $11.00
- Inclusive Tax: This is a percentage based tax included in the subtotal.
- For example $10.00 item with 10% tax. Total with tax = $10.00
- Flat Tax: This is a dollar amount tax based per item.
- For example $10.00 item with $1.00 tax. Total with tax = $11.00
Changing the Default Tax Rate
From the talech Register, go to Dashboard > Back Office > Settings > Taxes. Here you will see the Default tax. Tap this and you will have the option change the name of the tax, the tax rate, the type of tax and the products it is applied to.
Creating a New Tax
Multiple tax rates are supported by talech. For example, if Food and Beverages had different tax rates, you would simply create a Food Tax and a Drink tax and apply them to the appropriate products/categories.
To create a new Tax rate, Go to Dashboard > Back Office > Settings > Taxes.
Press the '+' in the top right corner. Once you are done filling out the necessary information, press save.
Assigning a Tax Rate to Category
Start by selecting the tax rate you wish to apply. At the bottom of the screen there will an option to apply to a category
- Retail : This option is named 'Applied Categories'.
- Restaurant : There are two options 'Applied Categories - (Dine In or To Go)'. This way you can set different tax rates based on different order types.
Once you select one of these options, you will see a list of your categories. Simply tap them to apply. Once you are done press 'Back' and then 'Save'.