Refunding a payment is useful when a customer pays with the wrong credit card or tender type.
(Ex: Customer paid with his personal card instead of a corporate card. Paid cash, then decided they wanted to charge it to their card)
Re-opening an order is useful when you need to make an adjustment to an order after it's been paid for. Re-opening an order will move the order from Closed back to Open orders. This way you do not need to process a return, then recreate the order. You can make adjustments, then reprocess the payments.
(Ex: You closed an order but forgot to add/remove an item from the bill. The order is closed and a discount was not applied)
To refund a payment and re-open an order:
- Go to Orders > Closed and select the order that needs the payment refunded
- Tap Refund Payments
- Choose the Payment(s) to be refunded, then tap Next
- Tap Refund to confirm
- The order is now moved to the Open Order tab
- Recall the order to:
- Tender a different payment type
- Apply a missing discount
- Add/Remove missing items from the order