Introduction and Requirements
The RP457c card reader from Elavon will require talech Register 4.7.10 or higher. This reader supports wireless communication over Bluetooth, but you will need to plug it into your iPad's 3.5mm audio jack during the initial setup and pairing.
Setting up your RP457c card reader
Note: Ensure the reader is fully charged before first use. We recommend at least 2 hours of charging time before using the reader.
- Insert the reader into the 3.5mm audio jack of the iPad.
- Make sure the blue light on the reader is flashing before proceeding. If you do not see a blue light flashing on the reader, hold down the button on the side of the reader until it starts flashing.
- Launch the talech Register application on your iPad and navigate to Back Office > Settings > General > Card Reader.
- Select RPC_457c from the list of card readers. (You may be prompted to grant microphone access to talech. This permission is needed to initialize the reader.)
- After about 30 seconds, your reader should be initialized and ready for Bluetooth pairing. Tap on "Pair Device." Note : If you press the Home button before 30 seconds, tap on the red bar at the top to go back to the settings screen. Then wait until you see "Pair Device" and tap.
- Press the Home button on your iPad to suspend talech into the background. Navigate to iPad Settings > Bluetooth. Look for a device named RP457C-XXXXXXXX and tap the device name to pair. (If you are setting up multiple readers, make sure to select the one with the matching number located on the back of your reader.)
- After successful Bluetooth pairing, return to talech. You should see an alert letting you know Bluetooth pairing was successful. You can now disconnect the reader from the iPad's audio jack.
- From the card reader settings screen, press Start Payment or start an order from the Register. If there are multiple readers powered on nearby, you may be prompted to choose the appropriate one. Choose the reader with the matching ID number from earlier.
- Your RP457c reader is now ready to use!
Troubleshooting and FAQs
Q: RP457c is not in my list of card readers to choose from.
A: Ensure that you are running talech Register version 4.7.10 or higher.
Q: When choosing RP457c, the card reader is not detected.
A: Make sure the reader is powered on and fully inserted into the headphone jack of your iPad. Ensure the card reader has been fully charged and is powered on before attempting to use it. talech will attempt to connect and initialize the card reader automatically when selected. If you need to make another attempt, toggle between readers in talech Settings to try again.
Q: How can I check if talech has the Microphone permission enabled?
A: In iPad Settings, look under Privacy > Microphone and ensure that talech Register has access.
Q: When attempting a transaction by inserting chip-card, the RP457c doesn't detect the card.
A: To process EMV chip-cards, your Elavon account has to have EMV enabled. Contact Elavon to make sure they have EMV enabled for your account.
Q: How can I check the battery status of my reader?
A: A red LED is located next to the USB connector for battery status:
|Red LED is on all the time||Battery full|
|Red LED is on/off for 1s every 3s||Battery low|
|Red LED is on/off for 1s every 6s||Battery very low|
|Red LED off and Green LED off||Battery is out of capacity|
|Red LED on/off every 1s||Battery charging|